Friday, November 1, 2013

Diogo talks about "Eduardo" on SIC Online

SIC Online posted a video today of Diogo discussing his character "Eduardo" on "Sol de Inverno."  Our always incredible friend Dina was kind enough to translate Diogo's awesome thoughts and take on "Eduardo," which can be found right below the video (which may require Flash to view.  Click on the link right underneath the video if it doesn't automatically load, please.  Or you can watch it on the blog's YouTube Channel too if needed.)


(video courtesy of SIC/Sapo Online)
(Click the "Read More" link below to read the rest of this post...)

Diogo: Let us realize one thing: "Eduardo" is not a villain, okay?  We can say that he is a guy who has some issues that make him act somewhat unconventionally.  But villain, villain, bad boy, he is not. He does not have that baggage.  He's a guy who, poor thing, grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth, his Mother has a lot of money, and he obviously thought he would rightfully have access to everything. Wrong. His Mother is not dumb and cut the reins, and he thinks that's not right.  Because, I mean, if it was his sister or someone else in the family, think about it. For her to give it all to Salvador, who is adopted, in Eduardo's mind, that makes no sense, you know? I do not think he's a villain. Obviously, on the street, people say [to me] "but you feel well, and you do not want to give a kidney to your sister ..." Stay calm, it's not a real kidney...
(Diogo laughs.)  Man, that sucks. You're confusing me. Stay calm. I'm not Eduardo, okay, guys? I do not think like Eduardo. I was just giving an example, because Eduardo is a very particular type.

Let's see, he really wanted to have a child, didn't he? And Andreia, so obsessed by beauty, had an abortion on purpose. And then, nobody talks about it? No one speaks of that. They talk instead of the slaps that Eduardo gave her. I mean, no, I've been kidding, but we're talking about two very complicated things obviously , which are abortion and domestic violence.

In this particular case we wanted to try for something that was not as clear cut as one thing or the other. In other words, Andreia also wanted to have a child, yes, but her career came first. That was a highly debatable reason, leading to Andreia wanting to abort.  And Eduardo, despite having one act of domestic violence, he isn’t, the quintessential guy who hits on women or whatever because he is very much a coward, and he is the last, perhaps, to take any action of physical aggression.

Also in this particular case we wanted to create something that seemed true/real, so that he would be pushed. She triggered him and he lost it. That’s it. It was a moment of losing his mind. We also wanted to say that the fact that someone loses their mind, does not mean it isn't domestic violence and doesn't have to be denounced. And often what happens is the families or the victims of domestic violence feel that this was a one-time thing, and then it happens again a few times, and suddenly it starts happening with increased frequency.  And that cannot happen. Therefore, with this episode of Eduardo hitting Andreia, we also wanted to show that however small it may be, violence should always be denounced.

I usually do joke and say he's not a villain. In fact, he's really not a good guy. He's testy, his behavior's the most questionable possible. He's not really a very pleasant guy to be around. Now what I'm trying to do, is find and show things that, somehow, can be explanations for why he is this way. It is debatable, true, but the fact is that his mother always puts him down, and this makes him build rage because he feels he is entitled to things, in a childish and stupid way, it is true, but I'm trying to show that he is not just bad because he is bad, or a villain, simply because there must be a villain. I'm trying to show that the attitude he has may somehow be justifiable.

And the same goes for his stupidity. So that his stupidity can, in some way, amuse the audience. I do not want to make him a comical character but I think that sometimes there are people who have attitudes so stupid, so ridiculous, that we almost have laugh, you know? So I like to create these situations where he is sometimes stupid, but so stupid, that one does not know whether they should laugh or hit him.

It seems almost impossible that a guy like Eduardo may have things in common with the figure of Jesus, doesn't it? That to me is highly enjoyable and I'm very happy when I hear comments from people about that.

To the public, especially to the Portuguese public, maybe you will see me hopping from genres and roles that have nothing to do with each other, but for an actor that is the best.

So I hope that whoever is watching me and listening, becomes an active participant in the legion of fans that Eduardo, my character, has, because he is indeed ... a character that everyone likes ... please ... (laughs) I'm kidding, I hope you continue to watch "Sol de Inverno," it's been an enormous pleasure for the whole team to do this for you, and so far the feedback has been fantastic and please follow everything, especially on SIC online, okay? Until later.
_____

I have said it before and I will say it again, what Diogo brings to the character of "Eduardo" makes the character for me.  He is so talented he somehow subtly shows the humanity in this very flawed character, and while "Eduardo's" words and actions may not be justified, Diogo's touches to the character allow you to feel for "Eduardo," whether you feel like hitting and/or hugging him, LOL.  Seriously, now hearing Diogo's "take" on "Eduardo," I have to say, it is perfectly reflected in his brilliant portrayal of him, and it is what makes "Eduardo" a complex, layered, and intriguing character for me, as opposed to being just another "villain" caricature.  I am enjoying "Eduardo" and his story quite a bit actually, so I will admit I am in that legion of fan(s) of him, even if I am there by myself.  :)

Thanks as always to Dina for translating this for us!

--Sara


No comments:

Post a Comment