Monday, July 1, 2013

Drive Time

Last time, we took a look at Diogo turning the tables and being the host/interviewer.  Today we will again see Diogo in the driver's seat -- this time, literally.

(screencap from video below by me)

Today's "Clip of the Day" comes from 2011, when Diogo appeared on the automotive show called "Volante" ("Steering Wheel.")  Similar to the BBC's hit series "Top Gear," for this episode, Diogo was the celebrity guest asked to drive the "mystery car."  The incredible Lou da Gama kindly translated this fun segment for us, found right below the video, and includes the time marks for Diogo's parts on the show.


(video courtesy of Illusionpp2010/YouTube)

(at 1:20) - Sara Gil do Couto (interviewer): Hello. Our guest for the “the Mystery Car” today is an actor well known to all.
Diogo: Well! Good morning! 
Sara: Good morning!

(Click the "Read More" link below to read the rest....)
Diogo: Good morning, Sara. Is everything okay?
Sara: Everything is fine. Shopping? 
Diogo: Also! I came here to get a surprise and I also bought the newspaper to be informed of what’s going on.
Sara: So, let's take a ride to read the newspaper?
Diogo: Let's do it!
Sara: Your car today is this one.
Diogo: Okay… okay… discrete (being sarcastic)! Let’s go. Yes, let’s go.
(They get into the car.)
Diogo: Come on then. Let me put this in back. Well! Let's put on the belt.
Sara: Well! I will raise my seat to look taller.
Diogo: And I will lower mine not to look shorter but to feel more comfortable while driving. I always do it.
Sara: Good! Comfortable!
Diogo: All right! Let’s see… when these technologies are very advanced I always have a chance…
Sara: No, it doesn’t have any complicated technology.
Diogo: Ready? So, good luck to you.
(at 9:46) - Sara: Look! Tell me something! What are you doing now? What are you shooting?
Diogo: Look! I finished “Laços de Sangue” and then, soon after, a week after, I went to New York to shoot a feature-length film called “Tragic Fairy Tale” [first title of “Red Butterfly”] and it was all filmed on the streets of New York, so it was an absolutely wonderful experience. The film might premiere here in Portugal around August next year.
Sara:  Have you done any scene with cars, with crazy chases?
Diogo: I've done a lot of scenes with cars… I've done a lot of scenes with cars. I’ve done a series called “Estação da minha Vida” ("Season of My Life") where I played a fireman, and I remember once I jumped out of a moving ambulance, and I also remember that there was a huge fire truck that I caught running, and that was a fantastic thing for me.
(at 14:48) - Diogo: So, it’s like that… 
Sara: Look at this pleasant place! 
Diogo: Do you see this? I have a surprise for you.
Sara: Do you sail?
Diogo: Ai! Come on! 
Sara: Now, I found it out!
Diogo: That journalistic research of yours is already spoiling my surprise!
Sara: Now, I found it out! Well, now, now I'm excited!
Diogo: Yes sir, I do sail! Yes sir, I do sail! And you’re going to sail too! 
Sara: Eh pá! This is a great surprise!
Diogo: What do you say, hmm? 
Sara: I thought you would bring your son. Does he sail with you? 
Diogo: Not yet. Not yet. He’s still very little, and a sailboat is a boat that is not… if it’s a motorboat…
Sara: It’s not the safest.
Diogo: It isn’t. You have to be careful and as there is much to do (on a sailboat)…
Sara: Would the baby chair fit in the back?
Diogo: Him here? Of course, yes. Yes, of course, no doubt.
Sara: It’s not very practical the fact that it only has 3 doors, I mean the way [to get] in.
Diogo: Yes, the way in is more difficult, but nicely…
(at 18:28) - Sara: I am eager for this (sailing) tour. I was not expecting this at all.
Diogo: It’s like this! So, do you think I get out of the…
Sara: Isn’t it dangerous to take me? I don’t have any experience!
Diogo: And don’t you think it’s dangerous that I am here driving a big red Audi? I think it’s dangerous! And today, it’s an excellent day for sailing. 
Sara: A little bit. Look! You have a space here!
Diogo: Look! It’s right here! Great! So… let's see if I do not embarrass myself while parking, if I can park on my first attempt. 
Sara: Now, that would be lovely.
Diogo: Look! It doesn’t have “pipi!” (referring to the sound that some cars make when they get too close to other cars.) These days, all cars have pipipipipi! I’ll do it! I’ll do it! PIPIPIPIPIPI!!! It’s good… it’s good.
Sara: On the first attempt! Good.
Diogo: So, let's do it, Sara? Look! Thank you very much, and now I’m going to reciprocate the ride. Let’s go!  (Obrigada to Lou da Gama for another fabulous translation and to Liliana for reminding me of this clip.)
_____________

Since we didn't get to see Diogo go sailing on this show, I thought we could take another look at pictures of him "sailing" from his 2009 editorial shoot for Louis Vuitton that ran in GQ Portugal instead.  :)


--Sara

 

6 comments:

  1. He's a great parker, an drive a stick, goes shopping, and can sail. Is there ANYTHING this man cannot do? Great post as always Sara. Do you know yet if Diogo is going to be in the Bible sequel?? Hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh he is adorable in the video AND hot in those pictures lol. Love him. His girlfriend/partner/wife/whatever is the luckiest woman!!!! I didn't like that Audi at all though lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely agree!

    The part where Diogo and Sara Gil were sailing should be the continuity of this video!

    That would be something we would love to see!

    Great post Sara and Lou!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES on the sailing bit!! i was impressed with the parallel parking since i've been able to do that successfully i think... ummm... once! this was fun, thanks again, ladies!

      Delete
    2. It's always a joy to see him, happy and that laugh is wonderful! I wonder what kind of car he drives. He would look good in a Porsch! Sara, do you know when his new films are coming out?

      Delete
    3. Hi there... I checked in with the "Born to Race: Fast Track" people today and no news yet on a release date, but they do know how eager we all are LOL, so they will let us know as soon as there is one, I know that. :)

      Delete