Friday, June 21, 2013

Diogo's "GQ Man of the Year" Award Acceptance Speech

(screencap of GQ Portugal's video by me)

GQ Portugal has posted video of their "GQ Men of the Year" Awards Gala which were held back in May, and during which Diogo was named Portugal's very first "GQ Man of The Year."  Liliana kindly translated Diogo's wonderful acceptance speech for us, which can be found below the link to the video.

Click here to see Diogo receive his "GQ Man of the Year" Award

(Click the "Read More" link below to read the rest....)


Diogo: Goodnight, goodnight… thank you, for the whistle… The disadvantage of being the last one is that all of the great things were already said. So… I don't care and I am going to reiterate what was already said. Ana Sofia, [the awards' host] I was there watching you and said, "Uau!" ("wow!") You have not just not taken Portugal but also the world. It’s true, we’ve heard about this girl from abroad many years now, okay?  And suddenly she comes here and… Catarina [Catarina Furtado] you agree with me, wow… ok? 
Ana Sofia Martins: Oh my God… Thank you! Thank you!
DM: This is why I say I am so proud of Portugal. We are not just the bad things that happened, the misfortunes that unfortunately happened, we are an array of great things, great happenings, persevering people, people that fight every day in the shade most of the time. Because unfortunately, the controversial things are visible and the wonderful and the strong things that happen stay hidden.  At this point, we are here for the best prize of the night. For me the best prize goes to GQ.  We are in fact, crossing a threshold … José, [José Santana, editor of GQ Portugal] congratulations.  And I say congratulations in that GQ is not just a magazine, it is a brand, a prestigious international brand, so, more than me being happy for this award, and independently for me to be here tonight or not, I will be sincerely happy that Portugal has this event. Acknowledged internationally and in the USA for many years now, and suddenly my country, Portugal has the GQ Man of the Year.  Enough of being restrained, we have various examples, like the brothers Jonathan and Kevin, Ana Sofia, the work we are developing with Cofina and GQ… … So Manzarra [João Manzarra, a SIC TV host] man… You okay? I found it awkward you didn't whistle at me… you didn’t say anything… kept yourself quiet… 
Manzarra: Keep going, keep going you are doin’ fine man!
DM: It was inevitable you didn’t have me on your show [SIC TV's "Vale Tudo," a game show type program]… but whatever… Either way, I would like to finish with just with one sentence: Portugal Rules! Thank you! 
Ana Sofia: I feel blessed… Was it just me or did hot Jesus just give me his hand??!!
______

Obrigada Liliana for the speedy translation.  And congratulations again to Diogo for receiving this most deserved and prestigious award.

--Sara

5 comments:

  1. DIOGO IS ALWAYS SO HUMBLE AND POLITE AND SPEAKS SO HIGHLY AND COMPASSIONATELY ABOUT HIS COUNTRY OF PORTUGAL..I HOPE HE STAYS THIS WAY WHEN HE BECOMES MORE OF AN AMERICAN CELEBRITY.OF COURSE DIOGO IS BEAUTIFUL IN EVERY PICTURE OR TELEVISION INTERVIEW ETC, BUT I REALLY LIKE HIS HAIR LONGER.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >>hope he stays this way...<< that was a concern of mine at first, too, but after seeing as many interviews as are on this blog, i've stopped worrying about him changing - he's such a down-to-earth soul, and he clearly loves his country very, very much :-)

      Delete
  2. Portugal Rules!

    Diogo Morgado Rules!

    This Blog Rules!

    And I love to do this for YOU Sara, and all of the fans!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next acceptance speech....the Emmy's?

    ReplyDelete