Saturday, May 11, 2013

Diogo on "Entre Nós" -- Part Two

As promised, here is Part Two/the conclusion of Diogo's interview from the SIC Mulher show "Entre Nós" ("Between Us") that aired on Friday, November 30, 2012.  Thanks again to the incredible @MsLiliana for translating all of this for us, which can be found below the clip.  Enjoy.



"Adelaide de Sousa/AS: Welcome back. We are with Diogo Morgado, one of the most successful Portuguese actors, who filmed recently in Los Angeles the sequel to “Born to Race.” But we will talk about that soon… I want to talk to you about theatre… You début in theatre with “Geração Out”…
DM: Yes, I débuted at Teatro Maria Matos, by the hand of Almeno Gonçalves. 
AS: That first impact with live theatre, I saw at the Biography Channel… it was agonizing for you….
DM: It was like… you’re at the back, just waiting to go on scene and you think, “I am not going to make it, it’s impossible for me to go in there…” There is nothing like that.  
AS: At Teatro Maria Matos, right?
DM: Maria Matos… a small theatre (sneering), and you just panic! Just a baby boy, 15 years old… not sure of anything… just jump there like a crazy, trust your instinct, and that’s how it was! Then… I did a piece of children's theater “A Canção dos Oceanos” in which I did a stuttering dolphin! And I can tell you that, doing that character for the first time I thought: “I want to be an actor”. It was like, “I think I am going to try this.” Because it had nothing to do with fame, I was doing a stuttering dolphin in auditoriums around the country, and in the end kids came to us and if I gave an autograph signed “Diogo” they said: “No… Dolphin! Who is Diogo?” and I said, “Ohh sorry…” and write Dolphin… That felt good, the kids laughing every time I s-s said a stutt- stuttered wo-word and I thought: man… I did this, I made this reaction…


(photo courtesy of www.cm-peniche.pt)

AS: It gave you that pleasure of creation, you did something and the reaction was right there. 
DM: An honest, sincere and genuine response, from the kids! 
AS: Ricardo Pereira was here last week and he said the same… play for kids is most challenging work.  Who makes a research about you does not find just good things… 
DM: I believe so.

(Click the "Read More" link below to read the rest....)

AS: In this interview you gave to “Focus” magazine, about the play “Opressão” (Oppression), a play you directed and wrote…
DM: A play that I did not direct, Manuel Coelho did, and that I wrote. 
AS: But this was a big mess, right?
DM: Yes. This is something I do not like to talk about…
AS: When you interviewed for Focus Magazine, you said that you had seen the movie… and the accusation of plagiarism came about the movie Breakfast Club, a movie that was a milestone for a generation…
DM: Not for me. I didn´t even see it. I never saw the whole movie…
AS: And after that, did you see it?
DM: After that I saw the movie. I wanted to see. The question here was, we all have our references, Breakfast Club is a common story, and that was what I did, reformulated old stories.  There were many involvements, many questions and situations, that I really don’t want to talk about. 
AS: A bad experience.
DM: No. It was a good experience, something that made me open my eyes. Made me understand that having good intentions is not enough, you have to know how to direct it, you have to know why and how you are doing things. And that was what hurt me more. My intention was to do things the right way, give voice to young guys’ ideas, like me at the time, and unconsciously I used my references…
AS: But didn´t battle against that accusation?
DM: No. For two reasons. First, I was just a kid, and that happened to a kid. A lonely boy that didn’t knew what to do. I even said things I shouldn’t have said, things I didn´t even feel. I just wanted things to stop. I should have been faithful to myself and what motivated me to do that play. Like that I would be a winner. I understood that even if you are full of good intentions, that is not enough. I am going to give you an example. One day I was doing the “TV Christmas” for TVI, and someone asked how was my Christmas, and I said: “well my Christmas is normal, but I take this occasion to send my wishes of a great Christmas to all the prisons and hospitals in Portugal, that they have strength and believe that tomorrow is a better day.  My Christmas is cool, but I don´t have to be here talking about it.” The next week, the first thing that appeared in magazines was, “The unbearded Diogo Morgado, is not mature enough to send emotional messages to people at home.” 
AS: Say what???
DM: This is true, Adelaide. This is pure truth. 
AS: And what did that do to you? 
DM: To me?? Well… Five years later, I was filming a series at Fonte da Telha, and there was this person, that looked at me in a very strange way… and I thought… “What is this?” - and I have people that can testify to this – I felt troubled by the way he was observing me but managed that. When we were done and coming out, the guy touches my back… “Look, remember like five years ago, in that Christmas special… I was in jail that time, and enjoyed very much what you said, and I never forgot you. Thank you so much, bro, it was so cool in that moment.” This for me… five years later… I thought, “No, it was worth it!”
AS: Even with the risk of being judged… 
DM: People always do. The best professionals in Portugal are judged all the time… and you say, “Damn, the guy is good, why are they saying this about him?” Man, women, presenters, authors… Look, Saramago is one of the biggest examples of that. He had his patriotic feelings, a relation of love/hate with his own country, but his heart was profoundly Portuguese!! He just had sorrow about the way Portuguese people look at some things. As for me, I have hope, and we cannot have same standard for everyone, ok? If I say something like I did, If I do things that may be considered plagiarism, but there is ONE PERSON, that in the end comes to me and says: “I remember what you said and that was important for me” For me that is just worth it! There’s when I grew up. 
AS: Great! After that you did, “A Selva” with Maitê Proença, “O Crime do Padre Amaro” “A Teia de Gelo” with Nicolau Breyner in 2011,  and you were in the USA with all the team to receive the Emmy award for Laços de Sangue”.
DM: Yes I did, in New York.

(photo courtesy of www.ipl.pt)


AS: But you had been to the USA, before…

DM: I did a movie there.

AS: As you said on Bio, the first contact was almost incidental…

DM: It was.  Due to a movie I did in Porto, called “Star Crossed”, a Romeo and Juliet story adapted to football, a bilingual movie, the director was English, one of the producers was American, co-produced in Portugal. That American producer took the movie to the States, and it was seen by an agent, that thought, “Hey this guy talks English… I like him!” I played a bad boy, that's what stood out, and I liked a lot, I felt good doing it! And it started like that! 

(photo courtesy of SAPO)

DM: Auditions, castings, videos… and things started happening. Then I was selected to do a movie with Al Pacino, the “Mary Mother of Christ”, that didn´t happen… But I am still on the IMDb page so… If the movie goes forward I will be there. There have been many changes in that project, aging issues, they have their own interpretation…
AS: The producer has a different way of seeing this “story”… Do you still have the will to do it? 
DM: Yes I had guts to do it, mainly because Al Pacino was there. Without Pacino, the project lost some interest. Recently I did a biblical project “The Bible” that was the hardest thing I ever did… I played Jesus. It was the most rewarding thing, touched me in a special way…
AS: You said there were things that happened to you while shooting this, that made you see some new things. You always said you had faith… You have faith in what?
DM: I have faith in good things, good people, positive energies, an abstract faith, my own faith.  This project changed the way I faced my own faith. I had to stop and put things straight. Questioned myself about things, what I didn’t want to do yet, because there are some spiritual things that you have to be mature to question about. I wondered about some things… some injustices, why do kids have cancer… I was not able to see that. I had no answers that fulfilled me. Things got clearer to me then. What happened with Jesus, showed the best there is in people, what distinguishes us from the animals. Common moments become special, unique, magical moments. The story of the world still makes people shiver and get motivated. Bad things happen just to make people move forward, friends and family get closer. We start valuing the little things. There is a bigger plan, and today I am more calm. Yes… there is someone superior to us, good, intelligent, that orchestrates people’s lives and I want to be a part of it! 
AS: We see the tragic things, and not so bad consequences, right? Sometimes the best in people comes out in those situations.
DM: Exactly.
AS: Let´s mess this whole thing up!
DM: C’mon… what?
AS: Let’s bring to this conversation a friend of yours… I have no fault about this, he did it…
DM: What?
AS: You know who he is?
DM: Have no idea!
AS: A man that could spoil a full video? 
DM: Ohhh I know! Nooooo!!! You got that guy… noooo!
(video)
Rui Unas: Hello Adelaide! Hi delicious, how are you? Everything’s fine? Keep calm Diogo, I will not explain why we call ourselves like this, ok? Well…. Diogo Morgado… Not easy to talk about our friends, I bet you are worried right now, “what is this crazy guy going to say about me”… 

(photo courtesy of Rui Unas' Facebook)
   
Rui: I say that Diogo’s most notable characteristic is straightforwardness, he is very straight, sometimes friends do not say the kindest words, but that’s how friends are… And I thank him for that! Another characteristic about Diogo is that he is honest. He is very honest with himself and demands that of his friends. He is a sensitive guy, a quality common in actors, and he has no problem showing his emotions. I do not know many people who work with his passion, when he accepts a challenge he goes deep in it, he always searches the truth in what he does, and I think that’s one of the secrets to his success, that search for perfection, he exceeds himself!!

(photo courtesy of Google Images Search)

Rui: I would say that he has as another characteristic his ambition, a good one… it fits you Diogo… you are really ambitious, and we know it, right?! But it is that ambition that makes you unstoppable, you are a dissatisfied person.  You could stay with your success here in Portugal, but no, you searched other challenges outside. And if I am an actor now, I owe it to you, your words, your example and incitement. Thank you so much, Diogo.  I like you a lot! I said this on TV! Like you so much Diogo… if I were a gal, I would say to you what would happen… 
DM: Holy Crap… 
AS: Good thing Unas is not a gal, or he would be an ugly one!
DM: The ugliest on the Planet, no doubt of that!
AS: You became great friends doing “Mami Blue”…
DM: Yes “Mami Blue” is an example of one of the great moments that we lived together. We worked together at “Podia Acabar o Mundo” and I realized that as an actor he is very shy, someone that does not always believe. He always tried many things as a presenter, communicator, it’s hard for him to focus in one character without thinking about what's going on around him… and I say, “Man, stop it!” I realized that, and invented a tragic/comic play for us to do, “Pedras nos Bolsos” and I thought… What a perfect play for me to learn from him and for him to learn from me. I consider him one of the most intelligent people in the humor he does. He is not the crazy person think he is. He is very focused, very assertive about what surrounds him, and very altruistic, and those are qualities he never uses in his work. We so learned from each other! So we have worked together at that play and then I presented him to Buttini and he called him for Mami Blue. And we will not stop there, more is to come!
AS: You filmed Born to Race 2 recently, in LA, even posted pictures at your Facebook page… when did you finish?
DM: 3 or 4 weeks ago. 
AS: When will you go back there?
DM: “The Bible” airs in March, before that in February another movie I made called “Red Butterfly” that I made in New York, in April I think “Born to Race 2” will come out too.
AS: You will have 3 movies out at the same time!! You are letting God’s plan take care of it, right?
DM: That´s it. I hope everything goes well.
AS: Thank you Diogo!
DM: It was a pleasure, thank you!

End!
________

OBRIGADA Liliana!

If you missed it, you can see Part one of Diogo on "Entre Nós" here.  Thanks, and have a great weekend! 

--Sara

24 comments:

  1. The author he talked about, "Saramago", is a Portuguese writer who won the Nobel Prize in 1998, and who had two of his novels adapted to film:
    "Blindness", with Mark Ruffalo, Julianne Moore and Gael García Bernal. And, "An Enemy" (in post-production) with Jake Gyllenhaal, Isabella Rossellini and Mélanie Laurent.

    He's a great writer and his novels are translated to many languages including English, French and Hebrew.



    ReplyDelete
  2. First. This blog is amazing. I hope Diogo sees and appreciates it. Two incredible posts in one day, where we see Diogo as his next character, and we learn he played a stuttering dolphin LOL! Loved what he says about faith too. He is a talented actor, but he equally shines in interviews. Dont say that about many celebs these days. Thank you Sara for sharing so much with us. If there is a way we can thank you or let Diogo know how much you & this blog rule, let us know, ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. What he says about "faith" is amazing.

      Delete
  3. Sigh... the only bad thing about this blog and interview like this is it makes me have a million more things I want to ask him. This blog is like a book I cant put down lol. Just want to read more, know more, see more of this beautiful man. Im not on twitter at all really but has there been word form him about him doing another chat? i joined twitter for the last one lol. Hoping he knows we love this blog and want another chat soon??? please keep us posted and thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering... hummmm will the visitors/fans will like this second part, as much as they did the first one?

    Well... it seems YOU did! And so did I!

    Little bird told me... that Sara has much more to give you!

    Kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liliana! Go to sleep! LOL! You and your little bird! LOL! I shoot the bird! HA! Seriously, I liked part 2 as much if not more. As a person of faith working in "Hollywood" hit a chord for me that I am still reflecting on.... it is easier know to understand what he meant when he kept referring to "Jesus" as not just work, not a role, but a spiritual journey. What an experience to have while doing what you love to do, what you were meant to do.... thank you Liliana for allowing us to know his words. And everyone else, thank you for the kind words about the blog. I assure you, it is truly a labor of joy and love, because it allows us to all meet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These interviews are just awesome.We get to know Diogo's personality,how he is as a friend.All his hard work is paying off and You deserve it Mr.Diogo Morgado.
    Stay humble,you are getting there. We love you!
    Sara and Ms.Liliana a million thanks to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See, I honestly never worry about Diogo not staying humble.... all you have to do is watch him when he is listening to an idol/colleague praise him about his work (Oprah) or watch him when he is watching & tearing up at a dear friend/colleague talking about his character/personality strengths (Rui Unas in this above interview). You don't need words, any kind of translation -- you can literally SEE how humble(d) and genuine and TRUE to himself this guy is.

    And even after working in showbiz almost 17 years and seeing Hollywood change many others, I can honestly say I have pure faith (there's that word again!) that Diogo is going to "stay" exactly who he is, and always has been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And THIS comment is a perfect example of why I love your blog.... you have such a beautiful way with words to say exactly how I and many others feel about Diogo, but cannot express as well as you do with each post and comment. You are as great a blogger as you are a fan, and not only is Diogo lucky to have you, so are we. God bless.

      And I agree with you. Diogo has shown in many ways and examples you yourself have posted for us to see, that he is a humble, genuine man who is in this for all the right reasons with good head on his shoulders and his ego in check... and I don't think any more fame or more fortune is going to change that or change him.... other than make his name more known and respected.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kate but you have a way with words yourself. :) I agree, Diogo's recognition will change thanks to his talent and ambition, but I do not believe he will. Even as talented as he is an actor, you can't act or "fake" the kind of humbleness and genuine appreciation/awe you see in his face with both Oprah and Rui speak of him. I hope he leaves a changing, lasting footprint all over Hollywood. :) Thanks again.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful comment Sara :). And coming from someone who's worked in showbiz for such a long time it has even more meaning.
    Yes, I've just watched the interview again and I was going to comment on how genuinely grateful he is and how emotional he gets when an idol or friend praises his work or personality.
    Diogo had become my favorite actor when I watched his interviews in Portuguese. I'm glad that they can be shared with his new fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou. It's funny how parallel you and I are... yes, I thought Diogo was amazing in "The Bible" but I was blown away by his interviews in the US media for it.... the way he answered every question quickly yet thoughtfully, his witty replies in deflecting the obligatory but lame "hot Jesus" questions, the way he answered each and every outlet (and he did A LOT of press) eloquently, as if this were his 100th American movie, not his first. I felt like in each interview he actually SAID something and let me tell you, I hardly ever feel that way and I have watched a lot of interviews LOL. I remember thinking he had to have majored media relations before he became an actor, or this was his 100th American movie and I had just never heard of him. When I learned English wasn't even his first language, I was floored.... when he really won me over was when he bravely yet politely "corrected" Oprah and said "I am known there" when she called him "famous in Portugal." That was it! I literally launched this blog the next day LOL! And now, as I watch his Portuguese interviews, especially the ones in which he is talking about Portugal or being Portuguese, I have to admit, I just become a fan over and over and over again. I cannot thank you and Liliana and all the Portuguese fans who have given me and so many that gift repeatedly by translating for us. We all know Diogo has many gifts on screen and off that have been discussed and discussed... but one gift I sincerely hope he is aware of is his gift in uniting people from ALL over the world. It's a rare gift he uniquely possesses both in his roles AND interviews in that it's not bounded by language or distance, and it's pretty darn amazing. Thank you again.

      Delete
    2. You are welcome! Thank you again for your beautiful words.
      Yes, when he said, "I'm known there", especially his expression... that was so touching. That was when my Canadian friend who was watching it with me said, "he has a beautiful light."
      He had a lot of media relations before of course, but it’s different. He’s been able to stay truthful to himself.
      I was introduced recently a little bit to the reality and rules behind the acting world in Hollywood through a friend who did a PhD on the subject (media, showbiz, etc). And my conclusion was that this “fame”, whatever thing seems not to be about talent and also about the authenticity of people’s personality as much as it should be… It’s an extremely judgmental (and even mean) world. That’s my feeling...

      Delete
    3. Just wanted to chime in about that "I am known there" comment he made to Oprah, I felt the EXACT same thing you did Sara. It was so quick I almost didn't catch it the first time I watched, but on the second time I just thought wow, this guy is my kind of people. I can't think of anyone in Hollywood that would downplay their fame like that. I don't care what language he's speaking, that moment made me a fan for life.

      Delete
  9. If It’s love that makes the world go round, then this world must have spun a little bit faster since this Blog / Sara Beene / Diogo Morgado united so may beautiful people. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a charmer. Thank you for being my friend. And co-star. :) I adore you!

      Delete
  10. i love him. i love him! what a special man. many, many thanks, Liliana, for your translations :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree... we don't have to worry about Diogo staying humble. We don't have to worry at all. These interviews show he is in it for the right reasons, his talent shows he has the chops to make it big in whatever path/way he chooses, and this blog shows that he is touching the RIGHT people. People who may enjoy his looks, but aren't here because of them. People like Sara. Who clearly "gets" it. Nice to see you using your talents to help spotlight his, Sara. Hollywood is lucky to have you guys. I look forward to seeing whatever Diogo does for years to come... he is not Jesus, even though he was a great Jesus, so I am most anticipating roles that challenge that casting, that don't "use" his good looks. I would love to see him do more comedy. I think he is gifted in ways there no one has ever seen, even though the clips you have shared show he is great at comedy. And despite his past experience with the play, I an hoping Diogo writes something else one day. Not just a short. But a movie. These interviews prove he is a master storyteller. Thank you Sara for creating this blog where we can talk respectfully of his career, not caring or getting lost among those just trying to get a retweet or follow from him. I hope this blog will continue and evolve along with his career, I think it would be great for him and for us fans. Thank you to Liliana and all the Portuguese fans who translate for us and teach us even more about Diogo. I wish all fandoms and blogs were like this, but then again, it is fitting as Diogo is so unique as well. Blessings.
    "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thanks Kate. Always enjoy your posts. And I so agree with you. Diogo has the talent, drive, intelligence, and emotional security to go wherever he wants in this business. It will be a fun journey to watch and blog about LOL. And I agree with you, I hope he writes more in the future too. There is no denying he can act, but we all have learned here and through his own words on social media, he has a way with words... it would be amazing to see what he would create on paper for a film or play or TV project. I'd love to read, then see! Anyway, thanks again for another great post and for "getting" it too. I definitely plan to continue the blog as Diogo's career evolves. :)

      Delete
    2. Beautifully stated. As Sara continues to post and Liliana continues to translate for us, my concerns also fade about Hollywood chewing him up and spitting him out. He certainly doesn't need Hollywood; it's clear he's grounded and knows this. I am so thankful. He will be around for a very long time and we will be treated to a great career, whatever outlets he chooses.

      Delete
    3. Great post Kate! I totally agree with you! :)

      Delete
  12. Thank you Sara for the blog and Liliana for this interview. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said here better, so thank you for all the comments that make me so proud to know you Diogo fans. He is a great actor and cool guy. So nice to see him being recognized and respected as such here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I realize that I'm late to this conversation. I agree with everyone's thoughts on Diogo. After I saw him in "The Bible", I started looking for his other works. I'm from America so I didn't know of him until he so beautifully portrayed Jesus. I noticed something in him that I didn't see in his other works. Don't get me wrong. He's an awesome actor. I saw the Oprah interview. He had so much passion for his role in "The Bible". But, in this interview, I swear to God, he glowed. But, we know how corrupt Hollywood is. They love to get their hooks into you, taint you, tear your soul to shreds and darken you.
    I wrote a review of 'The Bible' earlier and did make note of his answer to Oprah's,' you're famous in Portugal' statement. Thank God he didn't say, "Yes, I'm a famous model/actor." Very humbly he just said, "I'm known there." Hollywood actors need to take a lesson from this beautiful man.
    I'm Christian but the past year, I felt like my faith was a little 'stale'. I wanted it back but didn't know how to reach for it. But Diogo has renewed that spark. I'm very grateful for that. So, God bless him for helping me. He couldn't have shown up on screen at a better time for me. Talk about perfect timing. :) I really hope he knows the good he's done, not just for me, but for many, many others.
    After seeing his interviews and hearing him talk about his experience and faith, I just had to write a prayer for him. I don't speak Portuguese but since that's his native tongue, I thought it would be respectful to write it that way. I had to use a translator but the work was worth it. I don't know if he's read it or if he ever will have that kind of time now. But, I do want to share it with you guys if that's okay? It's just a simple prayer. (And thanks to Sara for such brilliant posts. Keep them coming!)

    DIOGO'S PRAYER:
    Querido Deus,
    Eu rezo para que você vai abençoar Diogo Morgado cada dia.
    Não deixe Diogo cair presa aos poderes de corrupção e ganância.
    Um homem tão humilde e bondoso não precisa ser removido da sombra da Tua graça.
    A tentação é uma droga poderosa, mas deixá-lo caminhar na fé ao seu lado sempre.
    Muitos deuses e monstros abundam neste mundo.
    O escudo da tua misericórdia protegê-lo.
    Seu amor vai consolá-lo.
    Em tempos de necessidade, ele vai ficar na palma da sua mão.
    Em nome de Jesus,
    Amen.

    God bless,
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope I didn't botch the language. That would be embarrassing. :)
      Stacy

      Delete