Saturday, May 18, 2013

Diogo in "High Definition" (2009)

Today's "Clip of the Day" comes from October 2009, when Diogo was on the SIC network entertainment program, "Alta Definição" ("High Definition.")  According to the "Alta Definição"website, the weekly show, which is conducted by Daniel Oliveira, is "an intimate approach to a central guest. Filmed in High Definition, at a special location chosen by the interviewee, each episode is intended as a biographical portrait of the guest, who is challenged to appear without makeup, in their purest essence."

Diogo's appearance on "Alta Definição" is posted in two parts/videos below.  Awesome Portuguese fan and friend Sara Ferreira was kind enough to translate both parts for us, which you can find below each clip.  Oh and one quick note about this interview -- please keep in mind as you watch it that this is from 2009, right when Diogo was cast as "Joseph" in an American movie called "Mary Mother of Christ," which would have been his American debut, and was also supposed to star Al Pacino and Peter O'Toole.  However, due to various circumstances and changes that occurred before filming even could begin, "Mary Mother of Christ" never happened, and as of now, the movie's future (if any) is still uncertain.  But, as many of you know, Diogo's being cast in "Mary, Mother of Christ" actually played a pivotal part in Diogo getting the role as "Jesus" in "The Bible."  Reminding me, I have to say, that everything happens for a reason -- just not always in the way or the time we are expecting.  


(clip courtesy of Anamatos25/Diogo Morgado fãs/YouTube)

"Daniel Oliveira/Interviewer (I) - Our guest recently became a father and will make a Hollywood movie. His name is...
Diogo (D) - Diogo Morgado and I'm 28 years old. Today I am without "makeup" in High Definition.

(Click the "Read More" link below to read the rest....)

(The cameraman starts recording to catch Diogo by surprise, but he realizes this and says):
D - Ah! You're recording?! So now you're faking here with a cough into the microphone. So?! This is the part that has already begun and we are not notified, right?! So I'll let it be. Peaceful, pretending I did not know it has begun. It's nice.
(The interviewer or the cameraman suggests it is going to start but Diogo is still distrustful and says):
D - No, I don’t think so. It's too early... Maybe I'll help the man who is working with the lawnmower, ok?!
(Video of when Diogo was younger.)
D - I like to wake up early. Thing that now... Wake up, wake up (slapping himself in the face) Thing that now has been interrupted by my son, who now does not let me sleep. Sleep has become something precious and at this time you can see it in my face.
I - How was the day you became a father?
D - Very confusing, very confusing. I tried not to have any expectations. I was concerned with the mother... concerned with the baby... concerned with the bureaucracy of the thing...  concerned to not worry about it to be able to feel things...  Was very confusing!
I - And your life changes from that point?
D - Not changes, gets better! Does not change, improves!  I like older people. The wisdom they have.   Do not like presumptions....  I like breakfast. I like dinners. I like to cook. I'm known for cod with cream. I do not like making desserts, curiously. The one condition for dinner at my house is to bring dessert... I love my family. I love my son.
(More pictures of young Diogo, this time seems to be dancing at a school party.)
I - What do you think when of as "winning" for your son when you look at him?
D - It's a good question but it's hard to explain... "Will I make it?" That's what I think.
I - When he is older, he will be aware that his father had one of the biggest challenges of his career in the year he was born.  It is indeed an overwhelming challenge, right?!
D - I do not see it that way because it may be the last, you know what I mean?....   Talking about me is a bit weird....  I do not like clichés. I do not like negativity and falsehood. Curiously, I tolerate the lie. I think we could lie for love.  I like to be proactive. I like persistence. Do not like it when people lower their arms. I cannot tolerate people who say that aren’t capable. Aren’t capable and give up. I have difficulty in handling, even in terms of friendship, with those people.
I - In the moment you knew you were going to have the role, (in “Mary Mother of Christ") it was a very rational moment?
D - No. (laughs) When I heard that I had been chosen, there was a peak of absolute thrill. I was not in me. The type "Is it possible?" because indeed it is an important role, in a major film. And then I thought "Calm down Diogo. Calm down Diogo. Calm down Diogo." And now I am calm, peaceful and I hope to do a good job.
I - One of the things I thought when I saw the news about you being chosen, was a series of interviews of various Portuguese actors. When asked "What is your biggest dream?" -- they said: greet Al Pacino or acting alongside Al Pacino or meet Al Pacino or work with him or being in a film produced by him. And you have this opportunity to act with him. Do you feel you have risen to some level?
D - (laughs) No, honestly. It is those things that... In fact we'll be two people trying to do their best. We will not be with bullshit. We are two human beings trying to give the best of themselves.  Obviously I'll never compare with a "Monster" like Al Pacino. But I also do not feel that I got somewhere to have the privilege of being with him. Things happened this way and I just have to be grateful and enjoy the most. I know what I am. I am a Portuguese actor who really likes what he does and loves his country and wants to do things here. That it is who I am so I'm not going to design another Diogo than this, because then it would not be me. It is very good that the movie will happen. It will be great to be with those people. It will be a spectacular experience. But damn it, I had a son! It will not be as good as this! Do you understand what I mean? So it's all relative. It is we who tend to extrapolate the scale of things....  What I like about my job it is being able to learn....  I like football but do not know anything, but I like. I never cease to do what I have to do because of a game. I like to read mostly novels that may stimulate my imagination. I like words, the power of words and the sound of words.
I - Your colleague Al Pacino (Diogo laughs at the joke) says that an actor is an emotional athlete. Is that how you feel about your profession?
D - I do not know, do not know ... I think an actor, above all, is a decoder. The main issue is that we observe the life around us and then we try to find a way to activate it....  When I'm not working I'm stupidly simple and common. I value the balance.
I - As a result of your profession, do you think you better understand people and life?
D - I am fascinated by people. Absolutely fascinated. Sometimes people who apparently have no interest and maybe even are arrogant or snobs, have something there that I'm fascinated. I try to understand them. It's like a new toy and I try to see it in the best way. For example, the teachers I liked most were the most terrible of all. And those people who are really sweet, very friendly by nature, who are always affable and friendly, it takes me a longer time to give myself to them than to people who are apparently stiffer and more severe because these people are authentic and you know what you can count on. They don’t have filters.... I don’t like stingy people. I like privacy....  I am moved by very simple things. Last week an old lady came to me to sell me figs. She told me, "Please, help me. Buy me some figs." And it moved me, much more than, for example, disabled people in metropolitan asking for money. In my view, rightly or not, I face these people with "a basket of figs" as people who do not give up, people who are doing something, whatever it is. And I think it’s fabulous... much more than other things.
(More pictures from when he was younger.)
I - You were sure that this was what you wanted to do?
D - No. Never. Only very recently I found myself in a position where I cannot escape it. Over the past five years, I considered a few times "Diogo, maybe you have to find another job, right?" but all I saw around me were forms of storytelling, was listening to people, was to feel people. And then I realized I had no way to escape it. I realized that on the day that I leave acting, whether it’s because people think I'm a farce or just because I want to, I know I'll be doing something that will be related with storytelling -- writing or filmmaking or even production....  I have always done things thinking that it would be the last time I would do them. Always. I thought, Okay, so I will learn all I have to learn now! And even today I don’t have the perspective that it is forever, that it is a continuous act. So sometimes I do strange choices because I'm afraid of regret later.
(More pictures of when he was younger.)
I - What made you not follow the will of your parents, when you were uncertain?
D - Perhaps stubbornness. During that period, especially when I was 15 years old, my family, and obviously as parents who love their children, tried to protect me to not follow an artistic path which is not at all safe. At that time it was something like "Oh you do not want me to do this?! So I'll do it!”....  My father is a giant. He says "Even paving stones, I’ll bring to home if necessary.”  Working for the family. You know what I'm talking about?! The idea of protecting the family. The idea of family care. I think this is a fantastic expression he uses!
(More pictures.)
D - The more artistic side comes from my mother. She used to make us puppets with toilet paper rolls....  I like the smell of the grass... the smell of the field... I like the smell of my son (laughs)... the smell of the sea.... I enjoy refreshments. I like to eat almost any kind of food."


"I – Do you regret anything?
D - No. All I have done, even bad, brought me much good. Brought me more good than bad. I cannot complain about anything, anything at all.
I - Don’t you give explanations for things that you don't regret?
D - No, all the time things happen which I guess I could have done otherwise, I question myself about them. I think when people act in good faith, when people transmit good energy to others, when people are good, good things happen. Making mistakes is human, being bad it isn't… One day I was presenting at a Christmas program and all other presenters told how their Christmases were. I thought mine was the most normal thing, and so I felt it was important to express strength and a happy Christmas to all institutions, including prisons. Days later, I saw on the news something like, "The good Diogo, thinks that he has experience to do this kind of speech." At that time I was outraged. I thought, "Damn it, the intention was good, it was not for people to think I was comparing myself." Years later, when I was filming a series, a guy kept looking at me. At the end of filming, he came to me and told me "Remember when you wished ...? I was in prison at that time and I really liked your speech.” To hear that, it was a huge impact, even all that time. It is moments like those that make you think -- this is what makes it worth it -- when you have good intentions… I don’t like to memorize text. I don’t memorize. If we memorize and just cling to it, things did not go well because they haven't an energy of their own…  I like brown, like green, like yellow, I like all earth tones. And then I like white.
I - The person who cast you in this movie (Mary, Mother of Christ), says that you are the new Marlon Brando.
D - (laughs) When I was doing "Malucos do Riso" nobody would consider comparing me with him. I think there are roles that help us draw up some references, and I think in the U.S. the more a producer sells all that is in his product, the better. So I'm glad at such a reference, because curiously mine is also Marlon Brando. I think someone who does something different at a time when everyone does the same, is the true genius. So it is wonderful, someone, outside the country, saying that you are the new Marlon Brando. It is fantastic. But I put it on this scale -- it's just a producer saying something nice about someone who will be part of his film.
I - What do your eyes say?
D – Diogo, calm down.  Calm down!
I - Thank you.
D - You're welcome, thank you too."
________

Thanks again so much to Sara Ferreira for translating this great interview for us!  Obrigada Sara!

And please continue to keep our dear friend Liliana in your prayers.  She is doing better today and hopefully will be home and back online here soon, but she could still use our thoughts and love right now.

Thanks everybody, and I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend.

--Sara

12 comments:

  1. Each clip of the day shows us more and more of Diogo, and the more and more I respect him. Yet it is a vicious cycle because it makes me want to know more and more, LOL. So thank you Sara, for this blog that gives us a chance to do just that. Hope Liliana is home soon, she is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. Love the little tidbits.... like he doesn't like people who say they can't or don't try and then his mom made him puppets with toilet paper rolls lolol. And what a cute kid he was, no surprise I know. Thanks for this Sara & Sara. lol. And while it had to be disappointing not to get to work with Al Pacino YET, im so glad it meant he got the Bible. Everything does happen for a reason, and I am so glad that reason introduced us all to Diogo in such a great way, and that we get to continue knowing him through clips like this. Love this blog! Keep it up please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty wise boy for his age.

    "I like words, the power of words and the sound of words." Yes! And "...the smell of the sea...." Damn! What I've missed the most since I left Lisbon.

    Kisses for Liliana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why you delete this comment? Miss this part in translation: "I love my family. I love my son. I love my wife."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. Your comment, like many "Anonymous" comments are, was deemed spam by Google/blogger, and was flagged and removed to moderation to protect the site in case it's a hack/virus. I was away from the computer to approve it, so it was automatically deleted. I fixed this one and marked it as not spam so it can be posted. My apologies. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed this interview, because like most of his interviews, he says so much, so openly, so well... little pieces almost... but as you put the pieces together, you get such a clearer, great picture of how special and unique this guy really is. He is indeed wise for his age, Lou, and honestly, his parents should be really proud of the son they raised to become the man he is. Thanks Sara for the translation and thank you Sara, again, for this blog.... that allows us to see these little pieces of Diogo daily. I am hoping maybe he will do another episode of High Definition soon. I like the format. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy! Thank you all! Was precisely for words like yours that I wanted to share this interview with everyone: because Diogo is truly a special and fascinating human being! So, this was the least I could have done, because he truly deserves all the love, respect and recognition!
      Thanks again Sara for your extraordinary work, dedication but also for the respect you have shown towards Diogo. He will enjoy for sure!!! And as I once said to you: That is all he could wish from his admirers - Diogofriends like you!

      Sara F.

      Delete
  6. Sara Beene... TY so much for tour support and care.

    Sara B / Sara F - Great Post!

    Kisses - Liliana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this interview, We get to know Diogo as a person.I love how open he is of becoming a father.A lot of showbiz personalities I know,they're hiding it because of their careers.Diogo I am so proud of you and for that,I respect you even more.
    2 Sara's beutiful post..thank you

    ReplyDelete