Thursday, June 5, 2014

Diogo on "The Enrique Santos Show"

(photos courtesy of EnriqueSantos.com)

While in Miami to promote the newly released "Son of God" DVD and Blu-Ray, Diogo stopped by the radio program, "The Enrique Santos Show."  Luckily for us, they filmed it too.  :)  Here's the video of this very, very fun interview, now followed by a translation of it, thanks again to wonderful Dina! 

(video courtesy of Enrique Santos/YouTube)

Enrique Santos (ES): Okay, he is known from films and television series. In Brazil, in Portugal, and in various parts of the world. But he is now internationally known as... 
Luisa Fernanda (LF): JESUS!!!!
ES: Or as Hot Jesus, which was very controversial at first. He's actor Diogo Morgado. Let's welcome him. He is with us. 
DM: Thank you. Thank you very much. It is a pleasure to be here with you. 
ES: How're you doing, brother? Thank you for your presence. This week it was released on Blu Ray and DVD, the film "Son of God." Here it is. I went buy it on Tuesday. I support.
LF: So sweet...
ES: Well, but some people say you are too cute to interpret Jesus. 
DM: No, no, do not know what you're talking about. Not a good idea. 
ES: You’re a very handsome guy.
DM: Thank you.
ES: You are very attractive. 
DM: I don't know that. My mom used to say that, you know? My mom tells me that, but I don't believe it. 
ES: Let's go point by point. What did your mother think when you said to her "Mom, I am going to play the role of Jesus Christ in a movie?" 
DM: Yes, when I told her, she couldn't believe it. I also didn't believe it. The truth is that the best compliment I received was from my mom. I wasn't in Portugal when my mom saw the movie, and I was worried because there are many violent scenes. So I called her and asked her if everything was okay, if she had seen and what she thought. She replied "Look Diogo, I just see you there for about 5 minutes. After that I didn't see you anymore. Just saw Jesus." For me that was the best compliment I have received throughout this journey that has been the Son of God.
ES: Because you gave yourself totally. How much preparation? How much did you actually do to prepared for this role? Because it's a big deal. 
DM: It is, it is. It's a big deal. It's hard ... wow, you changed from Spanish to English... you messed with my head.... 
LF: We've to say that although he's Portuguese, he speaks very good Spanish... 
ES: Yeah, he speaks Spanish perfectly... 
DM: No, no, I speak "Portunhol." This is Portunhol (Portuguese+Español.)
LF: But we appreciate it. When a person like you makes an effort to speak Spanish, we are very grateful.  
LF: Parlez vou français? (You speak French?)
DM: No, no, no, even worse. Then I’m done. Then I’m done.
LF: Portuguese then? 
DM: Portuguese no, you wouldn't understand. 
DM: Three. 
LF: Portuguese, Spanish and English.
ES: So let's talk in Spanish. 
DM: Yes, let's try. Let's try. 
DM: Portunhol. Portuguese and Spanish is Portunhol.
ES: Let's speak in Portunhol to not confuse you. 
DM: But you were asking me... 
ES: The preparation for this. 
DM: Tremendous. The truth is that when I knew, my first reaction was to read everything, study everything I could, see everything that was about the figure of Jesus. But the truth is that there was a time in Jerusalem, I saw along the Wailing Wall a child, 10 years old, with his father.  They were praying. Two or three hours later when I was leaving, I saw that they were still there, exactly in the same position. For me that was the moment I realized the importance of what was going to do, that it would have a tremendous impact especially in the life of this child. Because his father has other references. But for this child, Jesus would be the visual part of their faith and of their learning. I am also a father. I have a 4 year old son. So for me, this was very important. There is no book, there is no movie, nothing can help you. It must be something terribly authentic and completely moves you to what you're showing, which is the unconditional love of Jesus. I felt like a vessel for something greater than myself. It has probably been the greatest experience of my life. 
ES: Wow I imagine.  
DM: Wow I imagine. 
ES: It was more than work. 
DM: Absolutely. Without a doubt. A personal, spiritual journey ... 
ES: That changed your life. And it also changed, impacted the life of another person, too. I'll explain to you why. Not long ago I was fortunate to be able to also travel to the Holy Land. I was in Israel, I went to Palestine, to Jerusalem. And the weekend of Memorial Day, I thought about doing something. I stayed home all weekend and saw The Bible, all episodes, on Netflix... Itunes ... I think it was on Itunes. Well in one of the two I saw. 
LF: Sorry, but it should be clarified that this is the television series and then they made ​​the movie. 
ES: Exactly. That are 10 episodes. Well, I've seen them all, including the chapters that became the "Son of God."
DM: Well, "Son of God" is a more detailed, more personal and more emotional view, it's only the life of Jesus. "The Bible" is the whole Bible. Has the Old and New Testament. 
ES: What I also like is that explains it in a simple way, because many people do not like reading, and the location where it was filmed, and the fact that has you…
DM: It gives a visual perspective of what you believe, what you feel. 
ES: Exactly. 
DM: It was tremendous. You touched on a subject that is very important. Nowadays we live in a very visual world. So there are a lot of young people and children who have heard of Jesus, know who he is, but do not have an emotional relationship with him. That was the most important thing to us. "Son of God" is not a political film. It does not take one side. It does not cling only to the words. It tries, essentially, to explain the emotional side. You can see the crucifixion. Obviously it has a visual component. But what hurts you most is the emotional pain, because you are invested in this figure of Jesus. You have a relationship. Feels like you're seeing your best friend, your father or your mother be sacrificed. That was the goal. A personal, emotional journey and not just graphic. 
ES: And that is achieved, too, through a great actor. Critics also comment. It says  here (reads on computer) "actor Diogo Morgado 'Hot Jesus' criticized for being too sexy to play Son of God." How do you feel, what is your opinion when they say you're too sexy to play Jesus Christ? 
DM: It was a surprise... 
LF: I’m too sexy for Jesus… 
(laughs)
DM: This is new. I never heard this. I’m too sexy to play Jesus? (laughs) It’s too much… You kill me, you kill me. Awesome, awesome.  I do not know how to answer that. It was a big surprise, because as I said before, this was not work for me. It was a tremendous journey, emotional and personal. Very, very deep. Having a lot of people talking about what I did, and how they felt touched by my work, I am very happy and very honored. But then people talk about Hot Jesus, and I'm speechless, because it was a big surprise. But let me tell you something, it was like you were saying just now, that Jesus spoke in parables, trying to reach the greatest number of people. Right? Why not? This is a tool of instruction for many people. Motivation for many people. There are many atheists who say "I do not believe in anything special but there is something in this movie ..." 
LF: Some message was received. 
DM: Exactly. That's the best compliment I can have. Hot Jesus, obviously it's funny. I accept it as a compliment but we have to see it as a joke. 
ES: The most important thing is that the film reached its goal and you did a spectacular job. Do you like to sing? 
DM: Hmmm... I like to but don't know if I'm good at doing it.
DM: No way…
ES: Try "I'm too sexy for Jesus." 
DM: (laughs) No way… no way… Give me a classic.
(Diogo tries to sing a bit.)
ES: Now alone.
DM: No, alone no. I’m not gonna do that.
LF: And of course, we can't help asking you... about the World Cup? (Soccer championship coming up in Brazil.)
DM: Portugal… Portugal…
LF: You think so?
DM: Absolutely... Cristiano... Cristiano Ronaldo (incredible Portuguese soccer player)... Super Cristiano. Absolutely. 
ES: (to Luísa) Don't tempt him. He can duplicate him (Cristiano). He can return to his role of Jesus, back to Jesus again, and create a series of Cristiano Ronaldos.
DM: Yeah... Eleven Cristianos ... 11 ... the best team in the world. 
Host: Well, let's see. I say that Brazil will win. I'm Mexican, imagine... 
DM: Hummm… I don’t know…
ES: Diogo Morgado on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. It's already on sale the DVD of "Son of God." Let's support our brother from Portugal, a tremendous actor, and I know he doesn't like the comparison, but... he is our Hot Jesus.


--Sara

3 comments:

  1. i love, love, love the way he hops back and forth between english and spanish, even mid-sentence! that was a neat interview :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice interview, thanks for the transcript:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent and very exciting site. Love to watch. Keep Rocking.
    happy birthday in spanish

    ReplyDelete