Thursday, May 16, 2013

"Throwback Thursday" -- by guest blog contributor, Celena!

(Note from Sara: Today's "Throwback Thursday" post comes from guest blog contributor and dear friend Celena aka @Celena229 again, so please show her some love over on Twitter or in the comments section here.  Thanks, Sara)

Hello, Diogo Morgado fans! It’s Celena (@Celena229) and I am back with my second “Throwback Thursday” post! 

I am excited to share with you a movie from 2012 called “A Teia de Gelo" (“The Ice Web.”) Diogo plays "Jorge," an ambitious young man, who attempts to get rich quickly by embezzling company money into his personal bank account. He is discovered by the head honcho who threatens him if the money is not returned in 24 hours. Knowing that his life is in danger, Jorge flees but gets into a car accident on a snowy mountain. Cold and lost, Jorge stumbles upon an old house and is hopeful that he is finally saved. He meets several women who live in the house and soon discovers that the house has no telephones, doors lock by themselves, mysterious corpses and shadows appear and uninvited visitors come to his room. 

Will he escape the mysterious house? Will he return the money in time? Great questions, huh? I now must see this movie to find out – and I’m sure you will feel the same way after viewing the trailer with translation by our amazing Liliana (@MsLiliana)! 


(Trailer courtesy of Cinemate2012/YouTube)

(Click the "Read More" link below to read the rest....)

"Diogo Morgado/"Jorge": Hi baby… 3 days from now we will have money to buy a country! Sara Salgado/Ana: You are a thief! You’re not ashamed to rob the wretched man?!
Jorge: And what do you think he did his whole life, huh? Today is Friday, only Monday they will get it!
Nicolau Breyner/Mandante: You have 24 hours to give me back the money or else you and the bitch die! 
Jorge: I am sorry. My name is Jorge… Jorge Esteves.
Margarida Marinho/Verónica: And what brings you to the wilderness on a day like this, Jorge? And the women do not intimidate you?
Jorge: I think it depends on the woman…
Verónica: I know what happened last night….my daughter told me.
Patrícia Tavares/Estela: She knows it all!! 
Jorge: She who?
Elisa Lisboa/Mariana: Shut up!
Sandra Cóias/Carla: You never heard about cabin fever?!
Jorge: Cabin fever?
Carla: It’s when people go crazy for being enclosed in an isolated place…and start killing each other.
Estela: This house is where the devil is closing the doors. If I were you, I would go away. This is a cursed place. Go away!"


(image courtesy of A Teia de Gelo Facebook Page)

Liliana also shared with me the below link to a Cinebox exclusive interview with Diogo about "A Teia de Gelo" (translation included, of course!)


"Vitor Moura / VM: Who woke up like this has nightmares. Which is not surprising, because they are few, and even considered concerns, the ones from which the new character our guest did, Diogo Morgado.  Diogo Morgado, welcome!

Diogo Morgado/DM: Thanks.
VM: How was it, to enter this web that begins in São Tome’s heat and ends at the ice of Serra da Estrela?
DM: It was a real adventure! It was great. The movie starts at São Tomé and we ended the shooting at São Tomé, so it was funny the inverse, and I think that this beginning of the movie at this warm and tropical environment, and then a sudden jump to a freezing mountain where all the action takes place was amazing. You are not expecting it, and that captivates you.
VM: Remarkable is also the fact that Nicolau Breyner opted to film two versions of the same story, one in English and another in Portuguese. Did you feel the shooting the same way, like, doing two movies?   
DM: It´s in fact different. We have our unique way of talking, obviously, foreigners can see that, we have a musicality in our language, a unique one, our very own way of saying things, and when we step to another language, trying to say the same things, there are some changes that have to be done. 
VM: But the work is always double…
DM: It was double work, because when we had a scene in Portuguese that pleased Nicolau, the odyssey began and we had to do it again in English, until we reached the same satisfaction level. In that concern, it was an adventure!
VM: It's a double positive balance, I imagine.
DM: I think so. I haven’t seen the English version yet, I know that it is ready, I wasn’t here at the debut, I arrived yesterday, I saw it yesterday and I am delighted, very, very happy. I am very pleased with the Portuguese version, and am very curious to see the English one. 
VM: You’ve just arrived because you were in Morocco, shooting an American production where basically you are asked to portray Jesus Christ. 
DM: Basically… hahahaha.
VM: How’s that experience going on? 
DM: It’s been… uhhh a unique experience in my life! Not just because it’s a character that only a few have had the privilege of portraying, but also the production itself, and the degree demanded of me is one of the most difficult things I've ever done. I hope that Portuguese people are proud of me being the only Portuguese in this production. 
VM: By these times the future of Portuguese cinema and its future is being discussed because of economic issues... work abroad, is the way out? 
DM: No I don´t think that that is the way out or the answer to any type of crisis our country is having. I don´t think that to emigrate or leave the country, or work abroad is the answer. In my case things happened as a consequence, this happened naturally, never was a search or intention of mine working outside, since Portugal is going through bad times. Moreover, I cannot complain and it would be profoundly ungrateful of me, if I said that I feel the crisis, the same way many people do, so it would be stupid for me to say it. Hereupon, the answer is to keep betting on productions like this that Nicolau did, we were obviously limited in budget, but we made a movie for people to see. Not also see the cinema as the seven art, but face it as an entertainment. The Portuguese consume American productions, why not make in the same tone, things in Portuguese? This was Nicolau’s proposal which I give a standing ovation, and the thing we are to congratulate.  
VM: Well done, Diogo Morgado, glad you came to Cinebox!
DM: I thank you!"
_____
I have yet to find any information about the English version of the movie. If someone knows anything, please tell us in the comments section!

I hope you enjoyed my second post! Many thanks to Sara for creating such an amazing, respectable blog…and a big Obrigada to Liliana for her continuous, exceptional help! 

Thank you,
Celena

(Great job, as always my friend. Thank you!  Xoxo, Sara)



10 comments:

  1. I SO want to see this... where or where is the English version? :( Thank you Celena and Liliana. Great post on a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesommmmmme! we're not going to be fit to live with ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Celena. Saw the trailer on YouTube and I so want to see this movie. I hope someone can give us some insight on the English version. That would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to get that failure fixed... not easy! But will do my best! =)

      Delete
    2. I think Domique means the English version of the movie/where to see it info.... not your English. :) No failures here! Your English is great! We work well on unique words too, aka changing hut to cabin lol!

      Delete
    3. Sara is correct Liliana. Your English is great! Can't say the same for my little bit of Portuguese. Lol.

      Delete
  4. Just FYI, in March of 2012, someone tweeted Diogo asking him if it was true that about a full English version of the movie, "A Teia de Gelo." He tweeted by an answer, which was (via Google Translate):

    "Yes it is true that the film has a full English version. I have no idea when or how it will be distributed."



    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to watch both and compare them. It might be interesting, the same situations, actors, scenarios in two different movies.
    They should put an English subtitles option on the Portuguese one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i concur. i don't have a problem at all with subtitles, and if it means we could see it sooner, bring it on!

      Delete
  6. i love this: "The Portuguese consume American productions, why not make in the same tone, things in Portuguese?" indeed. they certainly have everything they need to do it and, i would venture to say, do it better.

    ReplyDelete