Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Scene from "Amo-te Teresa" (with a translation)

Some of you may recall an early post I did called "When Portugual 'Met' Diogo," after many of Diogo's Portuguese fans had written me to say that it was  "Amo-te Teresa" (which by the way, was the first tele-film made by the then fairly new network SIC) when Portugal REALLY first took notice of Diogo when it aired it in 2000.  

As a quick refresher, "Amo-te Teresa" tells the forbidden love story of Teresa and Miguel, aged 35 and 15, respectively.  Teresa is a doctor and, after a frustrated love life, she decides to abandon Lisbon and returns to her native land. Immediately, a strong attraction forms between Teresa and Miguel, a friend of her oldest son. Eighteen-years old when he filmed it, twenty when it aired, Diogo played 15-year-old "Miguel."

Fan Lou da Gama recently sent me another short, but pivotal scene from "Amo-te Teresa," in which Teresa confronts Miguel about something, as she struggles with her own feelings for him.... I think it is a scene many of you will enjoy.  And Lou was again kind enough to include a translation of the scene, which you can find right below the clip:


(clip courtesy of MrJoaolayne's YouTube Channel)

Lou da Gama's synopsis and translation:

"This scene happens after Teresa saw Miguel (Diogo) with a girl in a cafĂ©. Teresa is jealous. She is falling for Miguel but she’s fighting against this feeling because there is a 20 year age gap between them.

Teresa – Do you have condoms?
Miguel – What???
Teresa – As you’re dating that girl, I asked you if you have condoms. Or you don’t even know what that is?
Miguel – I’m not dating her!
Teresa – If you aren't, you will be dating her soon, so I think you’d better start thinking about these things.
Miguel – Why are you telling me this?
Teresa – Because I don’t think it’s a good idea to impregnate the girl. If you’re ashamed to buy them, I will get them for you. Look! It’s none of my business! I don’t give a damn about this shit. I’m just trying to help you.
Miguel – So, why are you so pissed off? (He knows she’s jealous.)
Teresa – Because you’re pissing me off with your bullshit. I’m not your mother to put up with your bullshit.
Miguel – I’m not telling you any bullshit. I’m not dating her and I don’t want to!
MUSIC…
Miguel - Damn!!! Haven’t you realized yet whom I want???
Teresa (after a surprised face) – You have no idea what you want!!!
Teresa - SHIT!!! (she breaks a glass in her hand)
Miguel – Watch out! You’re so daring, you don’t even seem to be a doctor...."

I don't think you guys need any translation for the rest.  :)

Thank you again to Lou da Gama for yet another great clip and translation.  Much appreciated!

Have a great night everyone.

--Sara

8 comments:

  1. Um, yum. Thank you for the nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOOOVE! How romantic!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Young Diogo Morgado... just starting! This movie placed Portugal in shock, at the time! It was a huge success! TY Sara! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOOO romantic and lovely!!!! I wouldn't resist a kid like this either :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why I love Diogo and why I love this blog!!! Thank you Sara and thank you Lou.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sara, you're so awesome. and thanks very much to lou for the translation!!! i so want to see this film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eh! Eh! Been so long since I saw this... And that was how many portuguese young girls like me fell in love with Diogo. He was our little crush of that time.

    Thanks again Sara for remind us these bygone days.

    PS. I see that you have a great translations team. ;) I want to start translating those videos I told you about. Where do I send the translations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, that is so nice of you. You can e-mail me anytime at Diogofanfriends@gmail.com. Thanks, Sara. :)

      Delete