Saturday, June 8, 2013

Diogo in GQ Portugal (UPDATED with additional pictures!!)

(photo courtesy of GQ Portugal)

After recently being named Portugal's first GQ Man of the Year, Diogo graces the cover of "GQ Portugal" for their June 2013 issue.

Diogo is also featured in the magazine. Liliana kindly translated the article for us, which can be found below the scans.


Man of the Year Diogo Morgado
From "Malucos do Riso" to Oprah’s couch, Diogo Morgado became a real national hero. All with much work, talent and a blessed role on Amercian tv, but with no miracles.
(text by Manuel Arnaut. Styling by Diana Conceição. Photography by Dan Carabas)

(Click the "Read More" link below to read the rest....)
Tall, good looking and articulate, Diogo Morgado is undoubtedly the personality of the moment, making women sigh and men want to be like him. That was how we felt on a Saturday morning at the Hotel Ritz, in Lisbon, when the actor arrived, casually dressed in jeans, checked shirt, and a wood cross on his chest, causing a buzz out of the ordinary, even in a place where all kind of celebrities are common.

Having just returned from the US, Diogo Morgado should be more than used to this kind of excitement generated by his name. His role in the series “The Bible” on The History Channel, where he portrayed Jesus (Hot Jesus for the ladies), made him America's “next big thing.”  And now with another two movies – "Born to Race: Fast Track" and "Red Butterfly"  - set to debut in the US.

Born in Lisbon, Diogo Morgado started his career in fashion, and, by the age of 15, an audition led him to television.  Next came the series (novelas), theatre, and an international career, discreet so far in movies like "Dos Rivales Casi Iguales" (2007) and "Star Crossed" (2009). Returning to Portugal to receive the GQ Man of the Year award and to film the series "Ambição," we talked with the new star of Hollywood, who doesn't forget where he came from, and does not admit to jeopardizing their faith. God forbid!

Question: The public was caught by surprise with your role in "The Bible," so they do not know your will to internationalize your career. This was always in your plan?
DM: It’s not my way to advertise what I do, or what I intend to do. Things happened in a natural way. I did some work in Portugal that had international attention, like the movie "Star Crossed," where I acted in English, in a co-production between Portugal and England, with an American producer. The film ended up being shown in a festival and an agent saw it and called me. So, I cannot say that there was a search, but of course when the opportunity arose to start exploring other markets, I didn't say no.
Q: Was it easy to accept the role of Jesus? In this role the result is fantastic or tragic…
DM: I am a little suicidal. I like to accept things that might go wrong. Remember that, for instance, without having done any comedic work, I did two years of “Revista à Portuguesa” (tragic/comic/social criticism, live theater) and participated in “Malucos do Riso.” At the other extreme, I played the role of Salazar. To answer your question, accepting the role was not difficult, because it was impossible not to accept. The difficult part was to define what I was going to do, and in what way the story could be told, since it was done many times before, with a figure who most people live with daily, but giving him a different perspective.
Q: But that didn't stop you…
DM: What is tricky about characters like this one is that everyone has a formed opinion about them, and it’s impossible to please all. When it’s not about a historical figure you have more freedom to choose. In Jesus' case the equation is complicated, because we are talking about religion, faith and something that many people believe and use to conduct their day-to-day lives.
Q: The arts are going through a period of crisis in Portugal. How does a Portuguese actor see himself in Morocco, shooting a series with a huge budget, full of special effects?
DM: Only the scale changes. When I started at fifteen, that was when I had the bigger shock, because there is a big contrast between your everyday life and being at a studio shooting a series with actors you recognize from television. In an international plateau, you can find more well-known actors, more money, more preparation and more special effects. It’s true that it's a bigger scale, but it's the same process. In Portugal, we don’t do more special effects because it is expensive and requires means.
Q: Do you think still that Portuguese cinema is not one of the most successful because they aren’t entertaining enough? 
DM: No doubt. Unfortunately, the way for Portuguese cinema to survive is all about aid. Furthermore, it looks like the cinema stopped in time thirty years ago, when author cinema was made. The world evolved and the audience’s needs are different. Today, parents are playing videogames and grandparents are on Facebook! Just go to Spain and you see that there is local cinema with commercial blockbusters. And people still go to the cinema, even with the crisis… In Portugal when a movie like that is done, it's destroyed by the critics, and the audience is not used to it due to its rarity.
QQ: Suddenly, in the US, any time they talk about you, the term Hot Jesus comes up. Did you fear that this label was straddling your work?
DM: I never found much humor in that. What happened was that my character didn't act in the beginning of the series, but, obviously, when it aired, the big curiosity was to know who played Jesus. All the interviews and pictures came out before I did the job, so what made the general first impression was the person and not my abilities as an actor. Hot Jesus came from there. I was happy that when the series ended the label lost its strength a little. I know it’s a compliment, but I invested so much energy in the role that Hot Jesus has a bitter taste.
Q: Becoming a worldwide figure changed your routine?
DM: Didn't change anything. What happens is that now I have a spectrum of options less limited that I did not have until I finished “The Bible.” On the other hand, for me, the importance is to not lose my Portuguese identity which was born and raised in Portugal. That is why I arrived at midnight, and the next day, I was starting the new series. [Ambição].
Q: Certainly there are people who think that that may be going backwards… Why would an actor be back in Portugal who just got huge recognition in the US? 
DM: That kind of judgment is a very Portuguese thing. What is important to me is feeling that I did not lose my identity. As it is not by doing a series in Portugal, that I am downgrading, because that is who I am. I never felt less than international actors by working in Portugal. When you do a scene with someone from another country, in the end of the day, we are just two actors trying to do the best we know.
Q: Until you embraced the role of Jesus, many people didn't realize your spiritual side. Watching you get emotional with Oprah Winfrey and then seeing an interview where the producers from “The Bible” describe an encounter with you – when they saw you walking to the grass of their home, illuminated by the sun, they looked at each other and realized that, finally, they found Jesus – raised the question if there was not an American dramatization of the whole situation. Did you always have that side, or was it something you found playing the role?
DM: I always considered myself a person of faith. What happened is that with this job I had to explore that side. Obviously when you explore something, sometimes you discover others. That’s the evolution of the human being. In that sense, I don’t know if it is American or not, because I am not an American. There were no attempts of any kind, because I was engaged to do a role that would only work if there was total surrender. No one can portray Jesus if they don’t believe.
Q: You became more sensitive, then.
DM: I was on the cross for three days. I had time to think about what that means to many people.  A thing that in the ordinary day of Diogo Morgado, making a series, would not happen. I was exposed, naked, with body pain because I was carrying a cross for a long time and meanwhile I had fallen, had accidentally taken the whip… In a split second you think: If I am like this now, imagine who lived this in reality. And in the end the person says: “forgive them Father, because they do not know what they do.” Very unlikely this will not mess with a person. During the interview you mentioned I tried to control myself, but it was stronger than me, and that is something I will not forget so easily.
Q: Do you often watch the series?
DM: No. That work is done.
Q: What do you remember from the time when you began acting? 
DM: I was an absolutely normal young man, who played football in the street, and went to an audition that led me to some work in the fashion industry. Six months later I did an audition for the series "Terra Mãe" (1997) and I got the role.
Q: Where you a theatrical guy? 
DM: Not much and I was not a draw attention person. Even now, standing at a table with many people, I might be the most unassertive, at the corner, watching. I love to see what surrounds me. Even when I start to study a role and we get to the reading table I am always the guy who comes in the end to do things. In my career I like to take it slow, but consistent.
Q: How was it for you to be chosen the first man of the year for GQ?
DM: I feel profoundly proud. Events like "GQ Men of the Year" show that Portugal is a little bit more than he thinks of himself.
________

Obrigada Liliana as always, for another translation for us. So appreciated.  

And I personally have to say, sorry, but AMEN to what Diogo said about Hot Jesus.  Bad pun intended.  That is actually the first and only time I personally have used those two words in a blog post here.  But I also have to say that this is definitely one of my favorite interviews of Diogo, to be honest, so again, thank you Liliana.


FYI -- If you have an iPad, GQ Portugal has a free iPad app.  You will have to purchase Diogo's issue, (though I believe it will be free after a month) but as of right now, this is the only way I know to get a "copy" of the magazine here in the US.

Congratulations again to Diogo on being chosen the first "GQ Man of the Year" in Portugal.  It is rightly deserved.  And I love that as extremely proud as Diogo is of his beloved country, the feeling is clearly mutual.

--Sara


27 comments:

  1. Beautiful Interview Diogo, very well said..About the "Hot Jesus", I agree Sara! I'm not happy at all when they give that "name" to Diogo. Diogo I respect you more as an actor and as a person,loving you more and more!Stay Humble..
    I am so anxious to see you in the big screen here,I don't want watching you in youtube all the time.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I love his Portuguese pride. The "Hot Jesus" thing started getting on my nerve after a while also, so I completely understand how he feels. He wants to be recognized for his talent, not his looks and he should be. He is such an amazing actor and extraordinary person. I would love to see him do more in the US, but the heart wants what the heart wants and if his heart wants him to stay in Portugal, I'll respect him and stand by him 100%. No matter where he chooses to stay and work I will always be a fan.

    Great post Sara and obrigada to Liliana for translating as always. Good job you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >>No matter where he chooses to stay and work I will always be a fan.<< could not say it better myself.

      Delete
  3. Managed come here during a break at school. Sara, thanks for the reference to this post in mail... and after what I read here I can only paraphrase the great Fernando Pessoa: " The value of things in not on the time they last, but on the intensity with which they occur. Therefore there are unforgettable moments, unexplained things and people who can't be compared."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: the HJ label - you know, i KNEW that had to have irritated the mess out of him and he has been so gracious about it. i'm glad to hear him say what he really thinks about it. and he's still being gracious!
    as for the article - this is definitely my fave so far. humble, humble, and treble times humble. love him to bits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought when I saw a couple of interviews where the first question he was asked was "what he thought of that title" that, those interviewers were slightly unprofessional and, honestly, a bit disrespectful. I mean, you have a foreigner actor who had a lot of work preparing for a pretty sensitive and difficult role in a language that it is not his language, and that's the first question? If I were him I would feel frustrated.
    As someone who decided to leave Portugal by choice, I know what losing our identity is and how confusing that can be, and how gratifying to rediscover my Portuguese identity was. But, living surrounded by other cultures can help us love even more who we are besides making us more open with the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. beautifully stated, Lou, and thank you so much for your insights. i remember feeling embarrased for him having to answer questions about that title (over, and over, and over again.) when we first heard it, my husband and i looked at each other and said "what? really? are you kidding me?" we thought it was borderline sacreligious, and definitely disrespectful. i'm glad it's died down.

      Delete
  6. I must say that this was the translation that gave me more enjoyment to do so far! Not only for the adrenaline to have ready in a short time, but more so for the content of the interview. I have not had time to read before, Read and translated at the same time! And as was translating became more and more pride ... Wrote with my chest full of pride. Portuguese pride that cannot be explained. Just felt!!

    From day to day I am happy to cooperate on this project, all respect and professionalism that characterize it let me realized not only as a fan of the actor/person Diogo Morgado but also help to know that hundreds of people have access to information like this, reliable, accurate and transmitted with pleasure!

    Continue to be those enthusiastic fans from the spectacular and talented human being Diogo Morgado is. I will continue to give my support with pride and joy!

    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're the best <3 can't thank you enough for translating. this is a terrific article.

      Delete
    2. Oh admit it! It was your favorite to translate because I am so much fun at 4am my time hahaha! Obrigada and love, my friend!

      Delete
    3. Yeahhhh right! You got me!

      Can´t deny that....

      Love ya!

      Delete
    4. It actually was fun, but let's not make a habit of it hahaha! Hear that puppy??? Hee. She and husband were back asleep in 5 minutes! LOL.

      Delete
  7. I have a question for Lou and Liliana. What does D mean when he and the interviewer are talking about how Portuguese cinema isn't entertaining enough?This seems a very odd concept to me, because everything i've seen so far has been oustanding. From my perspective - well, two things: first, I'm seeing some incredible work from ALL the actors I've watched so far, and second, good storytelling isn't reliant on special effects. Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not the best person to comment on this because I haven’t been living in Portugal for many years. But, from what I can remember, critics weren’t indeed very receptive to more “entertaining” Portuguese movies.

      But, if I think of some of the Portuguese directors who are relatively admired by critics, I may agree with Diogo. Directors like João César Monteiro and Manuel de Oliveira are the best sleeping pill to me. I just don’t get the appeal. I don’t feel any “soul” in their movies, and I find curious that Cannes and even cinema PhD students I’ve met in Montreal love Manuel de Oliveira so much. I tremendously admire him for having a movie in pre-production at the age of 104 years old, but I will not watch the movie.

      And I’m someone who doesn’t enjoy most of entertaining films with a lot of special effects (I usually call them “popcorn movies”). Movies like Batman and James Bond are just boring to me. But, I enjoy entertainment with less special effects and a story that is able to trigger some emotions in me. However, the movies I really loved were more about cinematography and twisted stories - City of God, Oldboy (the Korean one), Shame, Melancholia, Amores perros, Drive, …

      I have actually watched a few Portuguese movies recently that I truly enjoyed, namely, “A Selva” (with Diogo), “Mistérios de Lisboa” and “Tabu”.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Examples of entertaining movies I liked... Seven, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (both versions), The Untouchables...
      No more comments =).

      Delete
    4. "popcorn movies" is a great way to describe them, ha! i'm with you on this. special effects are a great way to enhance a film (ie the Narnia and Lord of the Rings films) but if that's all there is, if there's not a compelling story, then... well... pass. give me something like a parideira ANY DAY.

      Delete
  8. The thing about a term like "hot Jesus" for me is this... an actor's looks have more to do with their genes and things out of their control than their talent and all the things they actually DO for the role. Imagine if you spent 4 months in the desert working hard on something, 3 days shooting the hardest scene you may very well ever shoot, and what people in the media seem to want to focus on is your looks....complimentary, perhaps, disappointing, I would think, definitely. My point is, "hot Jesus" may make for a great sound byte, headline or hash tag, but it's not a fair or worthy critique. And it certainly is not a valid summary or legacy of what Diogo brought to the role and the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As both of us like Paul Thomas Anderson. I dedicate this beautiful song and movie moment to Sara =).

      Actually, an American director I'd like to see to Diogo work with one day... that would be Paul Thomas Anderson.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNmKghTvj0E

      Delete
    2. agreed, sara b - i was surprised and disappointed. i thought "c'mon, what are we, 12? is this middle school?"

      Delete
  9. Diogo has brought A LOT more than just his good looks. I personally, have experienced a change in myself from watching the Bible series. Seeing him portray Jesus actually touched my heart enough for me to have a deeper concept of my faith in God. I normally don't say things like that about other shows/movies. He is a brilliant actor. I even watched a few episodes of Lacos de Sangue despite the fact that I can't understand a bit of Portuguese.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you as always Sara for not only giving us the latest Diogo news, but sharing your very interesting insights. I love this blog for this most excellent actor and person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I heard interviewers ask Diogo about the "Hot Jesus" comments, it made me very uncomfortable. After watching Diogo in The Bible, and being deeply touched by his performance, it seemed to be a very disrespectful comment. He opened his heart to us and gave everything to this role. Why couldn't they have asked him something a little more intelligent? Maybe, they were trying to pay him a compliment, but it didn't have that effect. On the bright side, many people might have watched The Bible who would not have considered it otherwise. They might have actually had the opportunity to feel something from that experience. I guess you could argue that ALL of Diogo's wonderful qualities were used to touch millions of people!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No comments on the pictures... I will do... I love that one where he is siting on the bed and we only see her legs and buttocks. The photo composition, the background and their positions are great. Love it!
    The close portrait is beautiful too. Because of our very rich history, Portuguese are a huge genetic cocktail. Diogo's eyes are a good proof of that. I've met people from a Central Asian country, and his eyes and nose reminds me of them. I've been mistaken by someone from a Central Asian ethic group too. When I have time, I really want to study the complex ethnic history and mixing of Portuguese people. It seems fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very sexy pictures in a tasteful way. Love them.

    ReplyDelete