Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Diogo's "August Man Malaysia" interview (with Portuguese translation too)

Diogo is featured in the August issue of "August Man Malaysia."  Below the scans of the article, you will find the full text of his interview with the magazine... first in English as published, followed by a Portuguese translation of the interview, as provided by the wonderful Liliana.

(article images courtesy of "August Man Malaysia" on Facebook)

BLESSING IN DISGUISE
Portuguese Actor 
Diogo Morgado
Finds a new light as he becomes an international sensation portraying the world's most prominent prophet
(Photographs by Chuin-Kai Shih Styled by Chiun-Kai Shih & Clarissa Morales Creative Director Melvin Chan Words by Jessica Fang)


(Click the "Read More" link below to read the rest....)
It isn't everyday an actor can have the privilege of waking up to the label of "Hot Jesus."  Portuguese actor Diogo Morgado never expected to become an overnight international sensation for playing Jesus Christ in History's Channel's The Bible.  A role that has been perhaps the most challenging yet fulfilling one for him.  Morgado was offered the role as Jesus when The Bible's creators Roma Downey and Mark Burnett remembered Morgado from a previously bible-related production that fell through, where Morgado had been cast as Joseph.  Morgado said the directors gave him the freedom to portray an easily relatable Jesus who was more human and less holy.  And the rest was history.

Though it seems his fate was set in stone, Diogo Morgado hadn't always been a regular in Christian films.  The actor slipped into the industry when he began working as a model in his teens.  Before he knew it, he was going for television, stage and film auditions where each role would get bigger and bigger.  It took him some six years to realize acting was his calling in life, and he tells August Man Malaysia, "I didn't discover acting, it was the acting that discovered me."  Now, Morgado has taken center stage, with the successful mini-series The Bible under his belt, as well as two upcoming films in the United States, Red Butterfly, and Born to Race: Fast Track.

Though he was not very well-known outside of Portugal prior to The Bible, Morgado wasn't just an actor who caught a lucky break.  In fact, Morgado had already established himself as one of the top celebrities in Portugal, where he has worked in the most critically acclaimed television movie and stage productions over the span of some 16 years in the industry.  He played the lead character in the top-rated Portuguese soap opera Laços de Sangue, and has played highly prominent roles such as the Portuguese dictator António de Oliveira Salazar in the movie A Vida Privada de Salazar.  His repertoire also spans to lead roles in other international films from Spain and Brazil.   And those are only the tip of the iceberg.  

Morgado tells us that he surrounds himself in his work, which he doesn't mind at all.  He tells us his love for the job keeps him constantly hungry for more.  "When I'm not filming, which is rare, I'm reading plays that I might be interested in producing for the stage, looking for roles that I would love to do," he says.  Portraying Jesus has thus far been his most fulfilling role, but he hopes to continue being a part of great storytelling for the rest of his life.  In this interview, Morgado tells us more about his role as Jesus, as well as his thirst for learning and his love for acting.

There have been numerous Biblical films produced and numerous portrayals of Jesus before.  So what was it about The Bible that stood out for you?
I think that it was something about the rawness of the storytelling was really appealing to me.  I mean, the way the story is told in a really realistic way, making the biblical figures real people with real personalities.  And at the same time, having an opportunity to tell a story that everyone knows in a different perspective and a new visual way.  
What went through your mind when you were offered the role of Jesus?
The first couple of seconds, I was so, so happy and thrilled with the opportunity.  Then I finally felt the huge responsibility that was ahead of me.  I realized what a huge take and mission this role would be and I went right to work the next day to begin preparing.  
What kind of preparations did you do for such a prominent role?
I started as we [actors] naturally do every time we are working on a historical figure -- I began reading everything I could and seeing everything that could help me to fully understand the meaning of the figure to the different cultures in the world and tried to make a version that could reach as many as possible.  Then I went to Jerusalem and realized that nothing I could read was going to help me.  I realized that Jesus is just about his message of love, hope, and compassion, and that all I needed to do was to convey that to the audience.
Did you expect to get as much international attention as you did with The Bible -- specifically the reference to "Hot Jesus?"
No.  Not at all.  First of all, while I was shooting The Bible I never thought about that because I didn't want to be distracted by the things that weren't important.  After I finished shooting there were so many things to digest personally so I also didn't think about that.  So yes, it was a huge surprise to me when everything happened and all of the attention was directed my way.
When and how did you discover your passion for acting?
I guess the wonderful thing about being an actor is the fact that you are always learning and loving all the different aspects of what you do.  I didn't discover acting, it was the acting that discovered me.  I was a 15-year old boy doing some work as a model when I auditioned for a series and got the role.  That was my first gig.  It took almost six years after that to realize acting is my passion in life.
I read that you only decided to go into acting full time around the age of 21 even though you started at 15.  What was your ambition before that?
When I was a kid I never dared to think I had what it took, so that's why I took six years of working in TV, theatre and movies until I realized that I probably had something to give.  I don't know if what I do is more or less than anyone, but now I do know that I have something to give.  Before acting, I never had any ambition besides learning, so I guess I am in the right place because as an actor you only stop learning when you die.
What has been the role you have most identified with in your repertoire and why?
I have to say that right now, everybody identifies me with my interpretation of Jesus Christ, which is something that makes me proud.  I put everything that I am and that I have learned into that personification and it's amazing, the feedback that I get everyday.  I think that he is a figure that touches people in a deep and personal level, I think that's why.
How do you normally prepare yourself for a role?
It really depends on the project, the director, and what I think I can bring to the character that could be unique or different.  Normally I tend to start from the physical projection of what the character could be.  I keep that image in mind then try to find the absolute truth of the character that could justify his path in this story and I try to fuse both sides.  It's hard to talk about this because it's always different.
Outside of acting, do you have any hidden talents or hobbies that not many people may know of?
Probably my aspiration to direct.  I have studied filmmaking and I love to write.  I already directed a couple of short movies, but never a feature. So probably one day it will happen.
What keeps you occupied when you're not filming? 
So when I'm not filming, which is rare, I'm reading plays that I might be interested in producing for the stage, looking for roles that I would love to do... so it's really always about the work, but it really does give me a lot of pleasure.  I also go to the cinema a lot, and I love to write as well.
What is your take on your personal sense of fashion?
I like everything that looks comfortable.  My favorite fabric is cotton and I love to wear earth tones such as brown, green, etc. and I love women in white.  I'm more of a sneakers kind of guy but I also like to wear a great tailored suit with some shiny patent lather shoes.  
What or who inspires you?
I love to hear all the true amazing stories of people who survive and overcome difficult conditions in life; people who go from a nobody to a success; families that have overcome illnesses; stories of perseverance and triumph.  Basically everything that makes humankind unique.
What are you currently working on?
Right now I'm shooting a series in Portugal, and later on this year I'm going to go back to the US to promote two American movies that I shot last year.
With your international recognition for The Bible set to open plenty of doors for you, where do you hope to see yourself in about five years time?
It's always so difficult to predict... but I really hope that I would be involved in great storytelling, in movies, television, or theatre.  As long as I'm working I will be happy and doing what I most love to do in life.
_________

UMA BENÇÃO DISFARÇADA
ATOR PORTUGUÊS
DIOGO MORGADO
Encontra uma nova luz ao tornar-se uma sensação internacional ao interpretar o profeta mais proeminente do Mundo.
(Fotografia por Chuin-Kai Shih Estilo por Chuin-Kai Shih e Clarissa Morales Diretor Criativo Melvin Chan Texto por Jessica Fang)

Não é todos os dias que um ator pode acordar sob a epígrafe de “Hot Jesus”. O ator Português Diogo Morgado nunca esperou ser tão repentinamente uma estrela internacional ao interpretar Jesus Cristo na Série The Bible do History Channel. Um papel que terá sido talvez o mais desafiador e o mais profícuo para si. O papel de Jesus foi oferecido a Morgado quando os criadores do The Bible, Roma Downey e Mark Burnett se lembraram dele de uma produção anterior relacionada com a Bíblia que não se chegou a concretizar, e onde Morgado fez casting para o papel de José. Segundo Morgado, os directores deram-lhe liberdade para interpretar o papel de Jesus da forma mais humana e menos sagrada. E o resto era história.

Apesar de parecer que o seu destino foi gravado em pedra, Diogo Morgado nem sempre esteve atento a filmes Cristãos. O ator deslizou para a indústria da representação quando começou, ainda teenager a trabalhar como modelo. Antes de ele mesmo perceber, já estava na televisão, nos palcos e em audições para filmes sendo que cada papel que lhe era atribuído ia crescendo cada vez mais. Precisou de cerca de 6 anos para se aperceber que a representação era o que queria fazer na vida, e ele disse à August Man Malaysia. “Eu não descobri a representação, foi a representação que me descobriu a mim.” Agora, Morgado ocupa o papel principal com o sucesso da mini serie The Bible, assim como os dois filmes que irão estrear brevemente nos Estados Unidos, Red Butterfly e Born to Race: Fast Track.

Embora não fosse muito conhecido fora de Portugal antes do sucesso de The Bible, Morgado não foi apenas um ator que teve um golpe de sorte. Efectivamente, Morgado já se havia afirmado como uma das maiores celebridades de Portugal, onde trabalhou num dos mais criticados filmes para televisão e peças de teatro durante cerca de 16 anos. Interpretou o ator principal numa das novelas mais cotadas de sempre, Laços de Sangue e outros papéis proeminentes como foi o caso do Ditador Português António de Oliveira Salazar no filme A Vida Privada de Salazar. O seu repertório inclui também papeis principais em outros filmes internacionais em Espanha e no Brasil. E isto é apenas a ponta do icebergue. 

Morgado diz-nos que se envolve a ele próprio no seu trabalho, o que não o incomoda nada. Diz-nos que amor pelo seu trabalho o mantém constantemente faminto por mais.  “Quando não estou a filmar, o que é raro, leio peças de teatro que poderei estar interessado em produzir, ou à procura de papéis que eu gostaria de fazer,” diz. Interpretar Jesus foi o papel mais recompensador, até hoje, mas ele espera continuar a ser um contador de histórias para o resto da Vida. Nesta entrevista, Morgado conta-nos mais acerca do seu papel como Jesus, assim como a sua sede por aprender e o amor por representar. 

Foram já produzidos inúmeros filmes bíblicos com a interpretação de Jesus. Para ti, o que se destacou em The Bible?
Penso que teve algo a ver com a crueza como a história é contada, e a forma como se tornou apelativa para mim. Quero dizer, como a história é contada, de forma tão realista, tornando as figuras bíblicas pessoas reais com as suas personalidades. E em simultâneo, ter a oportunidade de contar a todos uma história que já conhecem numa perspectiva diferente, uma nova forma visual.  
O que passou pela tua cabeça quando te ofereceram este papel?
Nos primeiros segundos, fiquei muito contente e entusiasmado com a oportunidade. Depois senti uma enorme responsabilidade que tinha à minha frente. Percebi a enorme tarefa e missão que o papel acarretava e comecei desde logo a trabalhar no dia seguinte, para me preparar.
Que tipo de preparação levaste a cabo para um papel tão proeminente como este? 
Eu comecei como nós [atores] naturalmente começamos, por ler tudo o que podia e ver tudo que podia para me ajudar a entender o significado desta figura para as diferentes culturas no Mundo e tentei fazer uma versão que pudesse chegar ao maior número possível de pessoas. Depois fui a Jerusalém e percebi que nada do que pudesse ler me poderia ajudar. E percebi que Jesus é a Sua mensagem de amor, fé e compaixão, e que tudo o que eu precisava fazer era transmitir isso para o público. 
Esperavas receber tanta atenção a nível internacional como aconteceu com The Bible – referimo-nos especialmente ao título de “Hot Jesus”?
Não. De forma alguma. Em primeiro lugar, enquanto eu estava a filmar The Bible nunca pensei nisso porque não me queria distrair com coisas que não eram importantes. Depois de terminar as gravações havia tanto para digerir pessoalmente, logo também não pensei nisso. Portanto, sim, foi uma grande surpresa para mim quando tudo aconteceu e todas as atenções se dirigiram na minha direcção.
Quando descobriste a tua paixão pela representação?
Acho que o mais espectacular em ser ator é o facto de estares sempre a aprender e a adorar todos os diferentes aspectos do que tu fazes. Eu não descobri a representação, foi a representação que me descobriu. Eu era um miúdo de 15 anos a fazer uns trabalhos como modelo quando fiz audições para uma serie e fiquei com o papel. Foi o meu primeiro espectáculo. Só cerca de 6 anos depois é que percebi que representar é a minha paixão na vida.
Eu li que só te dedicaste a tempo inteiro à representação por volta dos 21 anos, apesar de teres começado aos 15. Qual era a tua ambição antes disso?
Quando eu era um miúdo nunca me atrevi a pensar que eu teria o que é necessário, por isso demorei 6 anos em que trabalhei na TV, teatro e cinema até perceber que provavelmente eu tinha algo para dar. Eu não sei, se aquilo que faço é mais ou menos do que as outras pessoas, mas agora eu sei que tenho algo para dar. Antes de representar, eu nunca tive nenhuma ambição a não ser aprender, portanto penso que estou no lugar certo pois como ator só paramos de aprender quando morremos.
Com qual papel te identificaste mais até hoje e porquê?
Tenho que dizer que neste momento, todos me identificam com a interpretação de Jesus Cristo, o que me deixa muito orgulhoso. Dei tudo de mim e do que aprendi nesse trabalho e é fantástico o feedback que recebo todos os dias. Penso que Ele é uma figura que toca as pessoas a um nível pessoal e profundo, penso que esse é o motivo.
Como te prepararas normalmente para um papel?
Depende muito do projecto, do director, e do que eu posso que posso fazer pelo personagem de tal forma que seja único e diferente. Normalmente começo pela projecção física daquilo que o personagem poderá ser. Mantenho essa imagem em mente e depois procuro a verdade absoluta do personagem que pode justificar o seu caminho na história e tento fundir os dois lados. É difícil falar sobre isto porque é sempre diferente.
Fora da representação, tens algum talento escondido ou passatempo de que muito poucas pessoas tenham conhecimento?
Provavelmente a minha aspiração em dirigir, Estudei realização e adoro escrever. Já dirigi algumas curtas-metragens, mas nunca um filme. Portanto, provavelmente um dia irá acontecer. 
O que te mantém ocupado quando não estás a filmar?
Então, quando não estou a filmar, o que é raro, estou a ler peças de teatro nas quais poderei estar interessado em produzir, à procura de papéis que eu gostaria de fazer… portanto tem sempre a ver com trabalho, mas dá-me muito prazer. Também vou muito ao cinema, e adoro escrever.
O que é para ti o teu sentido de moda?
Eu gosto de tudo o que é confortável. O meu tecido preferido é o algodão e adoro usar tons terra, como o castanho e o verde, etc. e adoro mulheres vestidas de branco. Sou um tipo que prefere ténis/sapatilhas mas também gosto de usar um bom fato por medida e uns excelentes sapatos de pele.
O quê ou quem te inspira?
Adoro ouvir histórias fantásticas de pessoas que sobrevivem e ultrapassam dificuldades na vida; pessoas que vão do anonimato ao sucesso; famílias que ultrapassaram a doença; histórias de perseverança e triunfo. Basicamente, tudo o que torna a humanidade única.
Em que estás a trabalhar actualmente?
Neste momento estou a filmar uma novela em Portugal, e mais tardem, ainda este ano, voltarei aos Estados Unidos para promover dois filmes americanos que filmei o ano passado.
Com o reconhecimento internacional através de The Bible, muitas portas se abriram para ti, onde esperas ver-te daqui a cinco anos?
É sempre tão difícil prever… mas espero estar envolvido em contar grandes histórias, em filmes, televisão ou teatro. Desde que esteja a trabalhar estarei feliz e a fazer o que eu mais amo na vida. 
______

Thank you so much to Liliana for the "reverse" translation.  :)

If you would like to purchase/order a print copy of Diogo's "August Man Malaysia" August 2013 issue, you should e-mail augustman@burda.com.sg with your full mailing address and allow 3-5 working days for them to write you back to let you know what the total price for the magazine (including postage charges) and delivery time would be based on where you live. 

Oh and if you haven't already seen them, make sure you check out these additional (and amazing) photos of Diogo from his photo shoot for "August Man," taken and shared by the incredibly talented photographer of the shoot, Chiun-Kai Shih.  

--Sara

7 comments:

  1. Muito bom Lili, como sempre. A minha assistente é barra nisto. EHEHEHE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eheheeh... eu sou a berdadeira assistente pah! Do nuorte!

      Delete
    2. Eu já agradeci no facebook, mas agradeço aqui tb: OBRIGADA LILI pela tradução da ótima entrevista :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much for the efforts in providing us such good work of information. Always caring to offer the best you do, Sara, Liliana, Lou etc... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhh my what a good model he is - this is a wonderful little video and article :-) <3 <3 <3 thanks, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your my darlin darlin baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now he is a perfect role model. We could use more people like Diogo.

    ReplyDelete